The Writers’ Forum @ Tobacco Factory Theatre seeks an experienced director or dramaturg committed to playwrights and their craft to share the coordination of the Forum from August 2012 – July 2013 in a shared part-time role with one of the current Forum writers. This is an unpaid role.
The Writers’ Forum is three years old and has been hosted by the Tobacco Factory Theatre for the last year. Its primary aim is to develop the craft of playwrights in the Bath and Bristol area. It meets monthly and has in the last ten months staged four public readings of new work, hosted one day-long visiting workshop, undertaken numerous discussions of the members’ work, assisted in the script-reading for Script Space V, led post-show discussions within the TF+ programme and been a partner organisation for Theatre West’s A – Z Autumn Season and the Future Cemetery Project with Calling the Shots Films. Several of the plays developed through the Forum have gone on to receive full productions in the South West and beyond, and its membership comprises writers with professional credits and associations with new writing theatres across the region. The Forum runs without budget but with space in-kind for meetings and readings provided by the Tobacco Factory Theatre.
The coordinator’s key tasks are to:
· Continue and progress the short-term and long-term activities of the Forum to help develop the members and their plays
· Facilitate discussion of plays through monthly meetings
· Maintain e-contact with the group to distribute information, news, opportunities
· Explore the possibility of a Writers’ Forum Festival of new work in 2013
· Make use of the Forum’s pool of actors and directors
· Liaise with Tobacco Factory staff about meeting spaces
· Align Forum activities with TFT programming where possible
· Seek new connections, partnerships and training opportunities for members
Applicants should demonstrate:
· Established commitment to the development of playwrights and their process
· Knowledge of and passion for contemporary playwriting
· Professional experience working with writers across various contexts (one-to-one, workshops, courses, teaching, in rehearsal and through to production)
· A broad appreciation of the writers’ role, their skills and what a play might be
· An engagement with the changing landscape of new writing in the UK
· Imagination, ambition and vision for the group over the next twelve months
Applicants should send a letter responding to the points above, along with a relevant CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6.00pm on Monday 16th July.
Selected applicants will be invited to an informal interview at the Tobacco Factory Theatre on Friday 20th July. A full handover with the current coordinator will take place through August.
For further information about the group – its current members, artistic statement and past activities – please also email email@example.com
Writers' Forum @ TFT, writersforum [at] tobaccofactory.com |