Expired: Space To Play - in Exeter - call for artists
Call for Artists
Following on from last year’s successful initiative we are delighted to announce that Dance in Devon and Exeter Northcott Theatre have been joined by Kaleider to invite emerging dance artists and choreographers to apply for Space to Play this August and September.
What we’re looking for
- We’re keen to offer space and time for dance artists and choreographers to take some risks with their work within a safe context. We’re looking for artists who are at the early stages of developing new work and will benefit from the use of space and technical support as well as marketing and creative mentorship.
- As well as artists who require space for the development of movement and choreography we’re also interested in artists who might want to develop soundscapes, multimedia, lighting and design aspects of their work.
- We’re interested in artists developing their work for auditoria as well as those developing work for non-auditorium spaces such as the new outdoor spaces around Exeter Northcott Theatre and University, or other outdoor locations.
What we can offer
- Up to 5 days to rehearse or develop your work in the main auditorium of the Exeter Northcott and/or in studio space at the University of Exeter’s Kay House.
- Creative mentoring from Kaleider and Dance in Devon.
- Up to two days support, advice, design and guidance from Exeter Northcott’s technical department.
- Professional advice from the Exeter Northcott’s marketing team to help you promote your work.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Artists who live, work and/or have a demonstrable connection with, or commitment to the South West. We’re keen to support Devon artists in particular, but also want to open up this opportunity to the wider region.
- Companies/artists with availability between Monday August 13th and Friday September 7th, including Saturday 11th, 18th and 25th August. Working days are approx. 10.00 – 18.00; Exeter Northcott staff are not available on Saturdays
Why are we doing this?
We have some non-cash resources that we want to make good use of over this period. Space to Play is an opportunity for dance artists to make use of those resources to support the development of their practice. It is not intended as a substitute for paid opportunities to develop work.
How to apply
Please submit a description of your proposed piece with details of the time and resources you would need including a preferred schedule; please ensure that you make reference to what you would gain from this opportunity.
Proposals should be kept to one side of A4 and submitted by e-mail to S.M.McCormack@exeter.ac.uk by DEADLINE midnight Sunday July 22nd.
The selection panel is Gillian Dale (Dance in Devon), Kate Tyrrell (Exeter Northcott Theatre) and Seth Honnor (Kaleider)
NB Exeter Northcott Theatre will be hosting Dance in Devon’s next Watch This Space dance platform of work made in Devon and the South West, on Tuesday 18th September
Dance In Devon | Kaleider | Exeter Northcott
Share this Opportunity
Raise your profile and platform your theatre practice by listing in the Directory.
If you live or work in the city list yourself now for free.