Here’s a short, non-exhaustive list of some resources you might find useful if you’re a director. If you have resources you think we should include, please get in touch and let us know.
- Young Vic Directors Program – This offers a weekly mailout with info, jobs, opps and talks. It’s not just for emergent directors, despite what it says. Usually but not always London-based.
- Regional Theatre Young Directors Scheme – Linked to the Young Vic programme above, but more nationally focused. It is not just for “young” directors despite the name. They also run the Reach Out training programme which works with South West partners Bristol Old Vic, Theatre Royal Plymouth and Salisbury Playhouse.
- Stage Directors UK A membership organisation which campaigns and offers development for directors.
- The JMK Trust – The JMK Trust was set up in memory of director James Menzies-Kitchin and features the Young Director Award (The JMK Award), an award for young directors to stage a professional production. They also host a Regional Programme of which Bristol Old Vic is a partner venue, which features ad hoc events, development opportunities and occasionally Assistant Director bursaries. See their page of Latest Opportunities too.
- Royal Theatre Support Trust – A charity that supports theatre companies and also runs the annual Sir Peter Hall Director Award which gives a director the opportunity to direct a fully funded touring production of a classic play.
- The Directors Charitable Foundation – A charity for all directors of stage and screen. They draw directors together, celebrate the art of directing, provide career development opportunities, encourage diversity within the profession, and offer support to directors in need, including the Directors’ Support Scheme and Directors in Schools scheme.