In 2016 dance in Bristol was a key focus for our then Co-Director Katie Keeler, “It felt like Theatre Bristol had a job to do: to shine a light on dance in the city”.
The Dance Futures Steering Group (DFSG) grew out of this investigation: a group of organisations and independents able to commit time and resources to taking dance development forwards, building on the bedrock of recent research. We represent the input and interests of a much wider range of stakeholders, and aim to do so in an open, non-hierarchical way.
The group consists of Pavilion Dance South West, Theatre Bristol, Tobacco Factory Theatres, In Between Time, Circomedia, Trinity Community Arts, Kieran Swann at Arnolfini, independent dance artist Laila Diallo and independent producer Katy Noakes.
- read some of Katie Keeler’s thoughts in the article, Dance Futures Part 1
- read about the plans put in place from 2017 onwards in Dance Futures Part 2
- read the 2017 Dance Audit
- read notes from Ruth Hecht as Bristol Dance Futures Advocate 2018
- read Bristol Dancing, a snapshot of Bristol’s dance ecology in 2018.
We are in the process of creating a Dance Futures Vision to take dance in Bristol forward over the next few years. The detail is currently being developed, based on these aims:
- To develop a dance sector which enables people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities to watch and take part in high quality dance
- To develop and retain a thriving, diverse and sustainable dance ecology in Bristol which nurtures the creation of new work
- To develop a strong local, regional, national and international presence