Hosted by Closer Each Day Company
Closer Each Day hosts the one and only PATTI STILES!
Patti Stiles has been called the Queen of Improvisation, and with good reason – she is the best teacher of impro in the world today, an inspiration and a wonderful human being too. Patti trained with Keith Johnstone before spending years continuing to hone her craft and performing and teaching all over the world. We are delighted to be able to bring her to our home city of Bristol and host her for two public workshops, two of her masterclasses she loves to share:
Saturday 13th October 2018: GENDER / GENRE
Many of the genres we perform have characters that were created to reflect the society of the time. Even if the author set the story in a different time, the actions or behaviours of the characters represented the social sensibility of the reader. These acceptable social rules were heavily categorised into male and female behaviour.
Today’s world is different. Our social dynamics and ‘rules’ of engagement encompass more freedom than the ‘rules’ of the past, yet our storytelling is still shackled to historical roles.
For example, if we continue to categorise behaviour by gender, in reflection of today’s world, are we not perpetuating a form of sexism? Do the actions need to be linked to the gender for the story to be told? Do the stories remain ‘genre’ true regardless of ‘gender’ casting? By questioning, challenging and exploring the purpose of the character in the story and removing the gender assumptions, we break open new levels of impro play and possibilities.
ADVICE AND INFO:
– We think those with at least some experience in improvisation will get the most out of these masterclasses. If you have any questions regarding this, please do get in touch.
– There will be an hour lunch break and at least one other short break. Feel free to bring your own food or pop out for lunch, but do be punctual. Tea, coffee and water will be provided.
– Wear whatever you feel comfortable in.
– Tickets are general (£75), concession (£65) or for both workshops (£130. If buying the ticket for both workshops just click on one date then select the both workshops ticket type).
– If you have any questions or queries please do not hesitate to get in touch.