Salary: GBP Equity
Application Deadline: January 25, 2018 9:00 am
Company: Tessa Bide Productions
Performer for Touring family theatre show – Bristol
Tessa Bide Productions are looking for an exceptional, experienced performer to join the company to play the lead part in ‘Perfect’ – a new touring family theatre show with puppetry and music.
‘Perfect’ is an adaptation of the illustrated book by Nicola Davies and Cathy Fisher, about a young boy and the birth of his disabled sister. It is a story of anticipation, disappointment, acceptance and, ultimately, love. The two-hander show will feature beautiful illustrations from the book made into animations, puppetry and an original sound score.
The part is of ‘Boy’ – a young, roughly 7 year old, boy. Therefore we are looking to cast an adult performer who can move, and look like, a young able-bodied boy (of any ethnicity). There will be multi-role playing and puppeteering too. For more information on the project, see: http://tessabide.com/shows/perfect/
The Performer must have previous professional experience and skills in:
- Physical theatre and multi-role-playing
- Interaction with family audiences
- (Desired) experience in singing and one instrument
The production underwent a successful Arts Council England-funded research and development phase, in partnership with May Park Primary School and Omnibus Theatre, in October 2017, and is being developed (with ACE funding) this Spring with partnership support from Bristol Old Vic, Hamilton House, Sibs UK, May Park Primary School and Omnibus Theatre.
The 17 day rehearsal process will be taking place in Bristol, in the weeks of the 12th, 19th, 26th March (3, four day weeks: Mon-Thurs) with a five day Production week commencing 2nd April (details below). A UK tour will commence on 7th April following the rehearsal period (further details below), and will continue throughout the year (with the potential to continue on into 2019).
The rehearsal schedule, all based in Bristol, is:
- Monday 12th – Thursday 15th March: 10am – 6pm
- Monday 19th – Thursday 22nd March: 9.30am – 5.30pm
- Monday 26th – Thursday 29th March: 10am – 6pm
- Monday 2nd – Friday 6th April: 9.30am – 5.30pm
(Please note that this is not an exhaustive list – and the company is still in the process of confirming several more dates)
- Marine Theatre – Saturday 7th April
- Lyric Hammersmith – Saturday 14th April
- The Met, Bury – Sunday 15th April
- Theatr Brycheiniog – Saturday 5th May
- Omnibus Theatre – Sunday 13th May & Monday 14th May
- Blackwood Miners’ Institute – Saturday 9th June
- The Courtyard, Hereford – Saturday 16th June
- Heavy pencil – Saturday 28th July
- Bridgend Library – Friday 24th August (2pm)
- Heavy pencil – Sunday 7th October
- Salisbury Playhouse – Thursday 1st Nov
- The Pound Arts Centre – Saturday 3rd November
The company will pay the performer Equity rates.
The Performer will need to accommodate themselves in Bristol throughout rehearsals, but accommodation will be sourced by the company for any tour dates where overnight stays are appropriate. Travel throughout the tour will be in the company vehicle from Bristol so the performer must be based in Bristol, as travel fees to anywhere else cannot be budgeted for.