Salary: GBP £1,060 Freelance Contract
Application Deadline: October 5, 2018 5:00 pm
Company: Wyldwood Arts CIC
Job Role: Assistant Stage Manager
Project Location: Trowbridge
Dates: October – November 2018 (part time, specific dates)
Wyldwood Arts CIC was established in 2014, and are producers of social arts projects based in the South West. Wyldwood deliver unique, high quality, participatory arts projects and productions that unite communities, bringing emotional wellbeing to those involved.
We specialise in intergenerational work, create productions, large-scale community events, therapeutic and educational projects that are tailored to individual and group needs. We also
collaborate with local artists and those early in their career, educational establishments, arts organisations and groups whose mission align with ours.
We are looking for an individual with an interest in social arts and theatre to assist in the stage management of ‘May’ in October and November 2018. ‘May’ is a one-woman show written and performed by artist Phoebe Kemp about the life and story of May Billinghurst ‘the Crippled Suffragette’. Billinghurst played a key role in the women’s rights movement; imprisoned and silenced by her sexuality, Billinghurst has been widely forgotten. Today in a society, where women continue to fight for their voices to be heard, Kemp returns to her story and asks – how far have we come in 100 years? ‘May’ will be touring the south of England in November 2018 linking with Disability History Month.
More about the show here: www.wyldwoodarts.co.uk/collaborations/may
Role and Responsibilities
Please note this is a role for an individual early or at the start of their career, and will provide an excellent insight into the world of professional small-scale touring. The person we appoint will receive mentoring and support from Wyldwood Arts throughout the rehearsal process and tour.
- Supporting the creative team, two of whom are wheelchair users
- Assisting with the smooth-running of the rehearsal room, including communicating between artists, ensuring set/props/costume are maintained and stored correctly
- Taking notes on the creative process and communicating any changes to the relevant people
- Looking at simple technical requirements for the show, and learning sound and lighting cues for the tour
During the Tour
- Communicating any technical changes to venues
- Driving a medium van to venues outside Trowbridge
- Assisting with the get-in and clear down before and after the show
- Operating sound and lighting during the show
- Providing support and care to the artist during the tour
- Sending out show reports to Wyldwood
- Collecting audience feedback
- Some interest/knowledge of live theatre performance and social arts
- Strong organisation and communication skills
- Willingness to learn through assisting and supporting a creative process
- Strong sense of taking own initiative and ability to problem-solve
- Full clean UK Driving Licence
- Knowledge of disability arts, interest in history
- Previous experience in assisting on theatre productions or stage management
- Knowledge/experience of theatre lighting
- Full DBS Check (for school touring)
- Own transport (for rehearsals in Salisbury)
- Own laptop (for Qlab sound cues)
Rehearsals will be based either in Trowbridge Arts from 09:30-16:30. Provisional Schedule is as follows (please note this may be subject to change):
Weds 17th October
Weds 24th October
Tues 30th October
Thurs 1st November
Mon 5th – Weds 7th November
Thurs 8th Nov – First Performance at Trowbridge Arts (14:00-21:00)
Trowbridge Arts – 8th November
Trinity Centre, Bristol – 13th November
Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge – 22nd November
Shaftesbury Arts Centre, Dorset – 24th November
The Pound Arts Centre, Corsham – 1st December
Plus two more dates before 1st December TBC.
Rehearsals will be paid at £10 ph and shows at £100 per show on a freelance contract subject to receipt of an invoice. The person we appoint will need to be self-employed and responsible for their own tax and national insurance.
Please send a CV and a short e-mail explaining your interest in the project to Giulia Bianchini: .
Deadline for applications – 5th October 2018
Interviews in Trowbridge – 9th October 2018
First day of rehearsals and induction – Wednesday 17th October 2018
For any questions about the project please e-mail: