Salary: GBP £22-27k per annum full time
Application Deadline: May 10, 2018 5:30 pm
Company: Bakehouse Factory
Bakehouse is an established and multi-award-winning theatrical events company based in Bristol. With over 11,000 sq foot of office space, set design workshops, costume creation studio and set and prop warehousing, we undertake every element of event production ‘under one roof’ for our clients across the retail, heritage, entertainment, tourism, corporate hospitality, and education sectors. Our full-time team of fourteen talented staff is joined each day by a large and varied bunch of craftsmen, crew, performers, makers, drivers, production managers, stage managers, and designers. There’s never a dull moment as we work to hugely varying budgets, briefs, locations and deadlines… making each day different and each job unique.
We are currently seeking to fill a full-time role within the team as Head of Costume & Wardrobe. The role will include bespoke costume design and making, curating and creating costumes from our large wardrobe store, small prop making and general wardrobe upkeep and maintenance.
Bakehouse is a fast-paced, fun and friendly environment and it will be suited to someone who is brilliant at coming up with creative ideas, thinking on their feet, managing a team, working under pressure and to deadlines. They will have meticulous attention to detail and not be afraid to grab a glue gun and a pom pom to make a very-last-minute costume if needed! They will enjoy organising, labelling, categorising and devising systems to help the costume and small props department run smoothly and efficiently.
Skillset, you need to have:
- A background in costume or fashion design (with or without formal training)
- Proficiency with an industrial plain sewer, domestic sewing machine, and domestic overlocker (both using and arranging maintenance)
- Pattern making know-how
- A firm knowledge of construction methods of costume
- The skills to size and construct costumes without fittings
- The ability to create / curate, pack, and label sets of costumes to brief and deadline
- Proficiency in illustrating costume ideas and collating mood board images for clients
- Some experience in prop-making
- Ability to organise, prepare and launder costumes in the correct way to preserve each piece
- Comfortable in managing a team of makers during busy periods
- Basic computer skills for email communication and online research
Personal qualities, you are:
- Self-driven and motivated
- Organised, with excellent time management
- Keen and good eye for detail and styling
- Able to learn how to use online company management systems and navigate a database
- A brilliant communicator – keeping up to date with Project Managers and performers for any costume changes – face to face, on email and on the phone
- Able to listen and take direction
- Great at working quickly and calmly under pressure
- Keen to take initiative and work independently
- Open to feedback
- Confident in your ability to run the wardrobe department efficiently
- Able to represent the costume department with a positive attitude and fresh ideas
- Passionate about working in a diverse environment – every day is different in costume!
- All the normal stuff like being a thoroughly good egg, a team player and having a flexible and enthusiastic approach obviously applies too!
The position is full-time, 9.30am-5.30pm Monday – Friday, and is based in our offices in Bristol.
In exchange, we offer:-
- Starting salary range of £22-27k per annum full time
- Opportunity to travel with work, if desired
- Ongoing training and career development
- 34 days holiday per year pro rata
- Pension scheme
- Childcare Vouchers
- Quirky and super-friendly working environment
Please send applications with covering letter and CV to the attention of Hannah McGavin, Creative Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for application is Thursday 10th May