Salary: GBP 24,000 pro rata
Application Deadline: December 5, 2018 12:00 pm
Company: Stand + Stare
We are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Creative Producer to join Stand + Stare to work on the day-to-day running of the company.
Stand + Stare
Stand + Stare is a small interactive design studio. Our work combines digital technologies with tangible things to communicate, connect and create meaningful interactive experiences.
Our exhibitions, installations and apps often serve to tell stories – be that through documentary interviews, oral histories or animations using archival material. Our work usually incorporates real things, such as objects you handle or books you flick through, augmented to provide a route into the narratives within them.
We work on projects large and small with a range of commercial clients, cultural organisations and academic institutions. Through working with Universities, we are able to research ideas and new technologies before applying them to commissions and commercial projects.
We work regularly with archives and collections, where our exhibitions and installations often provide a “way in” or introduction for visitors, and also with communities to help people communicate their stories.
Clients and collaborators include: The Barbican Centre, Royal Shakespeare Company, Carnegie Hall (New York), Museum of Science and Industry (Manchester), Watershed (Bristol), Battersea Arts Centre, University of Bristol, University of Leeds, University of Birmingham, Random House, Macmillan, Birmingham REP, Manchester Museum, Oxford Museum, The History Press, CityRead and Audible.
Salary: £24,000 pro rata
Contracted hours: 2.5-3 days per week – approx. 1.5 – 2 days in Stroud (SVA) with the remainder of the time in Bristol (PMStudio), or elsewhere nationally, depending on projects.
Duration of contract: 1 year
Responsible to: Barney Heywood, Co-Artistic Director
Start Date: Jan 2019
Type of person we are looking for
We need a bright, imaginative and articulate person with excellent administrative and production skills who is self-motivated, adaptable and able to respond creatively to different briefs. Experience of archives, community engagement and the arts are desirable.
Purpose of the role
To work with Barney Heywood on the development and execution of all projects that fall within the contract to include budgeting, scheduling and communication with clients and sub-contractors. You will promote Stand + Stare and bring in new work and projects, which will involve writing grant applications and proposals, direct contact with past/potential clients and collaborators, as well as the weekly administration of running the company alongside Barney and our collaborators.
Lucy Telling will be taking maternity leave for the duration of this contract. We would not rule out a continuation of this new post, although this would need to be reviewed towards the end of the year.
Current/upcoming clients and collaborators include: The Barbican Centre, Brigstow Institute (Bristol University), and various other Universities. We also have a number of projects we are not able to discuss publicly yet.
You will work closely with Barney Heywood and be responsible for the following tasks:
- Drawing up and keeping tabs on project budgets and schedules
- Planning to ensure project milestones and deadlines are met
- Checking project contracts
- Writing copy for graphics, website etc.
- Research via archives and the Internet for suitable visual material for projects
- Prop sourcing
- Interviewing project contributors (desirable)
- Writing narration (desirable)
- Directing voiceovers (desirable)
- Planning with Barney to consider the trajectory of the company and how to help it to grow
- Writing proposals
- Writing and collaborating on grant applications
- Direct contact with past clients/collaborators
- Attending networking events
- Meeting people to let them know what we are up to
- Marketing to potential new clients/collaborators
- Social media
- Answering emails, which will most likely relate to current projects or new enquiries.
- Sending accounts info (receipts, bills, invoices, wages) to our bookkeeper
- Renewing insurance
We are looking for someone who wishes to learn, positively contribute and help Stand + Stare to grow. This is an exciting time for the company as it enters a new phase and your role will be instrumental in how that develops.
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Competent level of computer literacy
- Competent numeracy
- Bright, confident and friendly
- Flexible attitude and approach
- Highly organised and self-motivated
- Excellent communicator
- Committed, honest and reliable
- Ability to work individually, one-to-one and as part of a team
- Ability to come up with creative solutions and ideas
- Calm and patient under pressure
How to apply
Please email us with the following:
- CV – please include employment history, education and any additional training.
- Covering letter – please outline how your knowledge, experience and skills meet the requirements for this post. Give specific examples including relevant experience gained inside and outside work. Please also provide any relevant web links that show examples of previous work.
- References – please provide the name, address and occupation of two people for reference. One of these should be your current or most recent employer.
Application deadline: Wednesday 5th Dec 2018, 12 noon.
Interviews: 11th or 13th Dec 2018 – either in Stroud or Bristol.
Contact: Barney Heywood
Address: Top Floor, Summerfield Studios, SVA, 4 John Street, Stroud, Gloucestershire GL5 2HA