Salary: GBP £150 per day
Application Deadline: March 21, 2018 6:00 pm
Title: Creative Producer
Salary: £150 per day, 8 days minimum, possible extension to 16 days (and ongoing if funding is obtained during the role).
Period: During March – October 2018. Freelance role. Dates to be agreed with successful candidate.
Location: Bristol, UK. With possible south west, London and Finland travel.
Date closes: 21 March 2018
Interviews: 27 March 2018, Bristol.
MECHANIMAL is looking to recruit a Creative Producer to work on two of its shows, currently in development:
Ghost Sonata is a new devised theatre performance, being made between UK and Finland.
It is inspired by an August Strindberg text of the same title, working from the themes and metaphors in Strindberg’s theatrical exploration of haunting and spectral presence.
In a wild re-imagination of the play Strindberg finds himself as an audio field recorder, listening at the end of the Earth to the thousand sounds of Arctic sea ice loss. Yet what would happen if the Arctic could also record the human?
Working extensively with Strindberg’s inspiration – a painting by Arnold Bocklin, The Isle of the Dead – and a Rachmaninov symphony of the same name, this show is an exploration of what it is to live among disappearing landscapes.
Zugunruhe is an ornithological term describing ‘migratory restlessness in birds’.
From cages to planetariums, Zambia to the UK, quantum biology to magnetic fields, this solo show explores the wild migration flight of a Marsh Warbler from southern Africa into Europe.
Having rehearsed among birds and wetlands in Somerset, performer Tom Bailey offers audiences a feast of bird behaviour alongside a digital sound map of the Marsh Warbler’s journey, created by composer Rowan Evans.
Amid the present ‘European migration crisis’, this show looks to ask: Can animal migration offer new ways of thinking about human migration?
Early stages of Zugunruhe have been developed during a residency at University College London Migration research Unit, supported by the Leverhulme Trust.
The company now looks to take both devised projects to the next stage of development during 2018. We are looking to bring a producer on board at this stage to help build the future of both. There are exciting possibilities on the horizon to develop both into full scale touring performances in 2018-2019.
The Producer position for this period will focus on:
- Working alongside the Creative Director Tom as the project continues research and development, helping to shape both shows
- Identifying opportunities for future development and completion of both projects
- Identifying and applying for funding streams.
Depending on success, there may well be room for the working relationship to continue towards future completion of both projects. Should further funding be obtained, it is likely that the job will evolve towards fully producing either or both shows.
It is not essential that the candidate is Bristol-based, although the candidate should be willing to travel.
Tom Bailey is a Bristol-based theatre-maker and director who creates work through his company, MECHANIMAL. The company is currently developing projects in Bristol, London, Finland and Egypt. Tom is a resident artist at the Pervasive Media Studio.
Other artists currently working with the company on these projects include: Anna Korolainen (Finland), Guy Dartnell (UK) and Rowan Evans (UK), Maisie Newman (UK).
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Proven success in small- to mid-scale theatre or live performance projects.
- Excellent skills in building and sustaining relationships with funders/trusts and foundations.
- Good knowledge of the funding landscape within the areas of science and art, academic research and arts, and theatre.
- Strong organisational skills
- Strong and confident negotiation skills.
- An established network of funders/trusts and foundations, and relationships with organisations and individuals in both arts and science sectors.
- A strong interest in art that explores the natural world and environment.
- A strong interest in devised live performance that intersects with sound technology.
- Experience of working in devised performance, and contributing to the shaping of these projects in their formative stages.
This role is a part-time freelance position. Working days are to be agreed with the successful candidate. Please note that funding is already secured for employment on Ghost Sonata. Funding for Zugunruhe work is pending.
Please send a CV and a short covering letter, outlining why you are interested in this role, to firstname.lastname@example.org.