Salary: GBP £2000 fee (based on 20 days’ work at £100 per day) and £1000 materials budget, plus travel and accommodation where needed.
Application Deadline: November 24, 2019 5:00 pm
Company: Jack Dean
We are seeking an experienced Designer to work with Jack Dean on Vinland, a dark, wintry Viking adventure for ages 9 and up.
Vinland retells the incredible historical tale of the Vikings’ last journey to America, inspired by the Viking sagas of Erik the Red and his family. The show will feature animation and live drawing by Christopher Harrisson, as well as live music looped on stage. It is supported by artsdepot, Arts Council England and Bristol Ferment. For more info on the show and Jack Dean’s work, go here.
We are looking for the Designer to create a complete visual identity for the show, including sets, props and costumes, but with a particular focus on set items that can double as moveable projection surfaces, can integrate with the on-stage technology and can be easily transported for versatile touring. The designer will be responsible for making and delivering all materials, either through themselves or through their own subcontractors.
– Experience of creating sets for small-scale theatre touring.
– Experience of creating designs that work with projection.
– Ability to collaborate closely with other creative team members (ie performers, directors, writers and technicians) to achieve a shared goal.
– Access to own making facilities or studio, and ability to transport set items from there to the rehearsal space.
– Ability to commute to Exeter.
– Driving license and access to own vehicle.
– Experience of working on shows for young people, especially ages 9-12.
9 December 2019 – Designer confirmed in post.
17 December 2019 – Presentation of first draft designs.
3 January 2020 – Presentation of completed design, start of making period.
27 January 2020 – First day of rehearsals, delivery of materials.
27 January – 14 February 2020 – Rehearsals in Exeter, adjustment and tweaking of materials.
£2000 fee (based on 20 days’ work at £100 per day) and £1000 materials budget, plus travel and accommodation where needed.
How To Apply
Send a CV and portfolio (document or link form) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: 5pm on Sunday 24November.
Interviews: 4 December (shortlisted applicants will be asked to prepare a very rough design concept).