Salary: GBP Salary competitive dependent on experience
Application Deadline: May 29, 2018 5:00 pm
Company: Tobacco Factory Theatres
The Executive Director is responsible for providing strategic and operational leadership of Tobacco Factory Theatres, delivering its mission and ensuring financial stability.
Reporting to the Board of Trustees, she/he has overall responsibility for the business viability of the organisation, working to develop a wide range of income generation strategies in order to create an environment to enable the theatre’s creative ambition to flourish.
The Executive Director, in collaboration with the Artistic Director, is responsible to the Board for the development and sustainability of the organisation.
Leadership and Management
- Leads on the strategic business development of the organisation ensuring the long term resilience and viability of Tobacco Factory Theatres
- Develops long term strategic business plans in collaboration with the Artistic Director for approval by the Board
- Pro-actively develops and leads new income generation initiatives
- Leads the annual budget development and setting process
- Advises the Board in collaboration with the Artistic Director on the strategic direction and business development to ensure the ongoing sustainability of the organisation.
- Jointly leads an effective and cohesive senior management group promoting best practice and sustaining an environment where individuals can develop and flourish.
- Jointly represents Tobacco Factory Theatres locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally.
- Works with the Artistic Director on the strategic development and implementation of the organisation’s approach to Get Involved and Artist Development as fundamental parts of the business direction
- Provides the annual narrative for year-end Audited Accounts and all major Statutory funders
- On behalf of the Trustees performs the duties as Company Secretary and ensures compliance with Charity Commission and good practice on matters of governance
- Together with the Artistic Director explores touring networks and partners for co-producing and presenting opportunities for future productions, develops strategies and networks for commercial exploitation of existing productions, and leads on any financial negotiations
- Leads on all rights negotiations with rights holders
- Leads the deal-making and contracting with all co-producers
- Pro-actively seeks to exploit all in house productions for ongoing profit-making touring opportunities
The Executive Director heads up the Development Team and undertakes direct activity in this area. The Executive Director working alongside the Artistic Director are the figureheads for the organisation’s fundraising endeavours. The Executive Director leads meetings with key donors and partners and directly makes the ‘ask’.
The Executive Director is responsible for:
- Leading an inspiring revenue fundraising strategy with an annual revenue target of c£400,000, ensuring that opportunities for generating income from available sources are maximised and the annual targets are met
- Overseeing the Development team’s work-plans that build and maintain relationships with trusts, foundations, companies and individuals and develop applications and requests for funding at the right time
- Overseeing the donor comms plan and donor stewardship plan, managed on a day to day basis by the Development team
- Developing and writing key funding bids to major trusts, Arts Council England and Bristol City Council
- Managing and developing key major donor relationships
- Ensures the financial stability and long-term future of the organisation
- Sets and oversees the annual budgeting process
- Sets all average ticket pricing for the programme including leading the analysis of all demand management pricing
- Oversees the preparation of bi-monthly management accounts, cash-flow reports and year end accounts
- Oversees the control of expenditure and income with agreed department budgets
- Reviews deals made with programmed shows to make sure they meet the overall budget and signs off on all Show Returns
- Reports to the Board on financial matters
- In collaboration with the Artistic Director works with the Trustees to develop and optimise the role of the Board in the discharge of its duties
- Works with and continues to build effective relations with funding and other key regional partners including Bristol City Council, Arts Council South West, West of England LEP
- Continues to build and maintain effective relations with new and existing donors
- Works with the Artistic Director to build good productive relations with the press and other media
Communications and Operations
- Manages and supports the Head of Marketing to ensure the organisation’s strategies and work-plans for marketing, pricing, communications, branding and audience development are on point
- Manages and supports the Director of Operations to deliver a well-run, efficient organisation that has is legally compliant in all areas, with strong working practices across all areas and is a positive working environment for staff, visiting companies and artists.