Salary: GBP £31,000 per annum (pro rata)
Application Deadline: January 19, 2018 1:00 pm
Company: Vamos Theatre
- ABOUT VAMOS THEATRE
Vamos Theatre is the UK’s leading full mask theatre company, taking its funny and fearless brand of wordless theatre across the length and breadth of the country and beyond since 2006.
Vamos Theatre’s trademark style marries full mask with strong visual design and an original soundtrack. We make accessible, humorous, human, and fearless work which is based on real life stories, and our productions are rooted strongly in social research.
Vamos tours a full scale mask theatre production throughout the UK annually, as well as performing at national and international festivals and events. We share our skills in schools, with NHS staff, in care homes, with teachers, actors, carers, social workers, the Deaf community, business leaders and more. Our full mask characters entertain at festivals and celebrations, bringing fun and cheek to events nationwide, and our Young People’s Theatre learn the skills that will take them, and full mask theatre, into the future.
We have a national network of over 100 venues that expands with each new production, including leading contemporary arts venues and festivals such as London International Mime Festival; Jacksons Lane, London; Jyväskylä Festival, Finland; Perigueux International Mime Festival, France; mac birmingham; Glastonbury Festival; Brighton Festival; and a range of regional producing theatres.
From 2018, we are funded by Arts Council England as a National Portfolio Organisation, enabling us to upscale our activities and organisation.
- ABOUT THE TEAM
Vamos Theatre has a core team of eight, currently with four office-based staff, working alongside a pool of associate practitioners. Our offices are at Worcester Arts Workshop in central Worcester.
- JOB DESCRIPTION – GENERAL MANAGER
Vamos Theatre is looking for an experienced and exceptional General Manager who will be responsible for the day to day running of the Company and its operations. We are looking for a highly effective person who can work well under pressure in what is a unique, varied, and creative environment.
Duties and responsibilities include:
Strategy and Development
- To contribute to Company business plans and strategies.
- Deputising for, and supporting, the Artistic Director, including representing the Company, raising its profile and promoting its values.
- To act as an ambassador for Vamos at arts events, stakeholder meetings, seminars, and conferences.
- Drafting annual budgets in consultation with the Artistic Director and the Board.
- Managing day to day financial operations, including maintaining an overview of performance against budget and the Company’s current and projected financial position.
- Working with the Company Accountant to generate accurate management accounts and reports to the Board of Trustees. Keeping a close eye on the management accounts and monitoring this critical financial data.
- To oversee the company payroll and company pension management and delivery.
- Managing cash-flow to ensure income and expenditure is accurately projected.
- Preparing fundraising strategies in conjunction with the Artistic Director and Board.
- Writing and submitting funding applications to appropriate trusts and foundations to support Company activities.
- Ensuring that necessary reporting (including NPO reporting) is completed in line with funder requirements and guidelines in a timely manner.
- Managing the relationship with Arts Council England.
- Monitoring and reporting on compliance with funding agreements and targets.
- Ensuring the effective operation of Company productions on tour.
- Liaising and negotiating dates, financial deals and contracts with venue bookers, festival producers, touring schemes and community venues.
- Maintaining and building relationships with venue bookers, marketing, education and technical departments.
- Managing the Company’s brand and PR in conjunction with touring partners.
- Responsible for the sound management of the Company, including day to day operations and the delivery of the Company’s administrative, business and financial plans.
- Maintaining close stakeholder relationships with funders, venues, artists, tour managers, agents and related organisations.
- Supervising, managing and contracting full time, freelance and contract staff, including staff rotas and schedules for staff and company activity.
- Managing the Company’s administrative and office functions to ensure the smooth running of the Company, including management of the Company’s Worcester office space.
- Managing all Company contractual arrangements.
- Acting as the Company’s Health and Safety officer with responsibility for all aspects of health, safety and compliance for the company.
- Maintaining all Company and project/production/premises-based insurance.
- Supporting the Board in discharging its responsibilities under the Companies Act 2006 and relevant charity law.
- Liaising with the Board of Trustees, and managing Board meetings, agendas and papers.
- Developing company policies and procedures to promote best practice and compliance.
- Supporting continuing Board development and training.
- Ensuring effective and timely reporting to statutory bodies including Companies House and the Charity Commission.
- To keep up to date and report on developments in arts, health and education policy to the Artistic Director and the Board.
- Responsible for working with the Artistic Director and the Board to develop human resources strategies which ensure the Company is appropriately resourced and staffed.
- Workforce planning, including the recruitment, selection and induction of relevant personnel.
- Managing staff members and co-ordinating the work of the wider team to ensure effective management of individuals and resources.
- Devising/updating Company policies, tools (e.g. the Staff Handbook) and procedures, and ensuring compliance.
- Overseeing the delivery of the Company’s Equality and Diversity Action Plan.
- Setting and reviewing remuneration policies in line with agreed budgets.
- Ensuring the training and development of key staff.
Education and Health
- Overseeing, co-ordinating and promoting the Company’s work with schools, care homes, NHS Trusts and other relevant stakeholders.
- Positioning Vamos Theatre as a leading arts organisation in the health and education sectors, alongside the Creative Producer.
- PERSON SPECIFICATION
- 5 years management experience, working within an arts organisation or arts venue.
- Excellent and exceptional organisational, business and administrative skills.
- Experience of leading and managing a team, with excellent interpersonal, influencing and leadership skills.
- A natural ability to work collaboratively, supportively and respectfully of those you are working with.
- Substantial experience of financial management, including setting and managing budgets and financial reporting, and monitoring management accounts.
- Experience of fundraising, including managing relationships with funders.
- Exceptional organisational skills with great time management and ability to multi-task.
- A very high level of accuracy and attention to detail in all areas of work.
- Experience of strategy development, business planning, project management and operational delivery.
- Excellent computer literacy.
- Ability to work without supervision, use initiative where required and work under pressure.
- Reliability, confidentiality and an enthusiasm for the company and its work.
- Experience of servicing a Board of Trustees.
- Experience of tour booking.
- Knowledge of Charity and Company legislation.
- Understanding of the current funding system in the UK.
- Experience in NPO reporting.
- Experience with international touring administrative requirements.
JOB TITLE: General Manager
LINE MANAGER: Rachael Savage (Artistic and Executive Director)
LINE MANAGES: Administrator (p/t). Further supervisory responsibilities will be subject to a Board review which is currently ongoing.
SALARY: £ 31,000 per annum (pro rata)
PENSION: Statutory minimum
LOCATION: Worcester Arts Workshop. Some travel will also be required.
HOURS: 9.30 to 5.30 Monday to Friday but some evenings and weekend work will be required. Flexible working arrangement will also be considered.
HOLIDAY: 28 days per year annum including bank holiday (pro rata)
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your CV and a covering letter (no longer than 2 sides of A4) explaining why you are interested in the company and this role.
Please email applications to by 1pm on Friday 19th January 2018.
First stage interviews will take place on Monday 29 January.