Salary: GBP £20,800 pro rata (part time position)
Application Deadline: September 12, 2018 5:00 pm
Company: Doorstep Arts
Doorstep Arts are seeking a musical theatre assistant with piano accompaniment skills to join a motivated and passionate team. Doorstep Arts is a non-profit arts education organisation, running 14 drama and dance groups across Torbay at key doorstep sites for children and young people. This is a freelance assistant role, part of our ‘Foot in the Door’ emerging artist support model. Doorstep is a person-centred organisation, and as such, we will consider both applicants who are just beginning their work in the field, as well as those with more experience. As such, the rate of pay is variable according to depth of experience.
You will share your knowledge, passion and musical theatre skills with our young performers during weekly Tuesday evening Studio Courses (DAS) whilst supporting and encouraging the participants to develop their performance skills. You will be working closely with Doorstep’s Lead Musical Theatre Artist in DAS sessions. You will have a strong skill set in playing the piano and be able to sight-read music. We expect our staff to be organised, professional and reliable as well as committed and enthusiastic for every process, big or small. This job is a great opportunity for someone who is ready to share and teach the skills they have learned in musical theatre in a supported environment. If you think this is you please get in touch.
General Duties & Responsibilities
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting the lead artist and other members of staff to set up workshops and pack down before and after the young people arrive.
- Aid and support lead director in the termly production on mainstage.
- Assist backstage during show productions.
- Assist lead artist to teach and inspire young performers.
- Participate in the collaborative process.
- Welcome parents and children into each session.
The ideal candidate will have
- Ability to sight-read piano music or be at very high standard.
- Ability to teach songs to a group and one to one.
- Have a knowledge and enthusiasm for Musical Theatre.
- Have training or experience in training in Musical Theatre, or acting, singing, dance/movement.
- Be confident in assisting the delivery of workshops
Every Tuesday and Wednesday evening (term time only), at the Arena Studio, Palace Theatre, Paignton, TQ3 3HF
- Tuesday 6pm-7pm: DAS group is aged 7yrs-11yrs
- Tuesday 7.15pm-8.30pm: DAS group is aged 14yrs-20yrs
- Wednesday 5pm-6pm group is aged 4yrs-7yrs
- Wednesday 6pm-7pm group is aged 7yrs-11yrs
- Wednesday 7.15pm-8.30pm group is aged 11yrs-14yrs
Autumn Term runs from Tues 18 September until Tues 4 December.
Email a CV (not to exceed two sides of A4) and a single-page covering letter detailing your interests and reasons for applying for the role to [email protected].
We would also welcome supplemental additions to your application, which could include a creative PDF portfolio or video/audio recordings, but these are not mandatory.
Deadline for applications is Wed 12 Sept, by 5pm.
Start date is Monday 17th September, with first delivery session on the evening of Tues 18 September.