Salary: GBP Above Equity/BECTU minimum
Application Deadline: May 13, 2019 9:00 am
Company: Tessa Bide Productions
Tessa Bide Productions is looking for an experienced touring technical stage manager for a Summer tour of The Anarchist’s Mobile Library – a brand new show, set in a vintage 1970s pop-up caravan, touring to festivals, theatres, community venues and car parks from July – October 2019. The tour will be based from Bristol, if the technician is based outside of Bristol they will be responsible for covering their travel to and from home to Bristol.
About the Show
The Anarchist’s Mobile Library will explore the world of characters, locations and adventures from some of the best children’s books throughout history that feature anarchic characters, weird and wonderful aesthetics and plotlines that challenge social norms. The audience (of up to 3 children and 1 adult at a time) will play the role of the storymaker and they will choose a character that’s fallen from the pages of a book and accompany them on a journey around the interior of the caravan. The caravan will be decked out with a mash-up of literary worlds with lots of different stories to discover – and challenges to overcome – along the way. It’s a kind of ‘make your own adventure’ set in an extraordinary, and mobile, library.
Due to the unusual set-up of this show, we are looking for an exceptional individual with the following skills/experience:
- Understanding of Q lab, ability to wire a mini surround-sound sound system (likely to be made of a series of MiniRig speakers)
- Highly organised individual, outgoing and comfortable liaising with venue technicians/organisers, meeting new people and being the point of contact during gigs.
- Experience coordinating get-ins and get-outs
- The ability and experience to problem-solve and trouble shoot at unconventional performance spaces/venues
- Physically strong, as the caravan is incredibly heavy and erecting it/dismantling it takes a lot of strength
- Comfortable sharing the driving of the tour car (must have clean driving license)
The role will also involve:
- Managing tour accommodation
- Sending tech specs/RAs & insurance docs to the touring venues in advance.
- Checking there is sufficient power at the external site for the caravan and finding out about parking, security and storage if the caravan is in situ for more than one day.
This role will involve keeping the caravan safe while the performers take breaks, managing audience sign-up and flow/queuing and possibly some drumming up of audience members at festivals. We’re looking for an enthusiastic, confident, sociable, experienced stage manager who is keen to get stuck in with this exciting, unusual show and looking for a break from traditional touring in black box spaces and a new challenge in the glorious outdoors.
Fee is above Equity/BECTU minimum, pending funding from ACE.
Dates are subject to change, pending funding. If the initial ACE grant is unsuccessful, dates will be pushed back to mid-August onwards:
- Application deadline = Monday 13th May 9am
- Interviews = TBC
- Technical rehearsals = mid/end August
- Sporadic touring dates from end August – end of October. These can be sent to applicants on request, and discussed in the interview process.
To apply, please send a cover letter and CV, with 2 references on, to with the subject TAML SM APPLICATION. We will get back to people on or before Tuesday 14th May.