Salary: GBP 14-16k Pro Rata
Application Deadline: August 28, 2018 10:00 am
Company: Prime Theatre
Prime Theatre is a professional theatre company celebrating 30 years of making work for, with and by children and young adults. We have a regional reputation for producing work in schools and communities of the highest standard and a growing national profile for reach and artistry within professional touring partnerships.
We are based in Swindon, working from the Wyvern Theatre, and began life as Sixth Sense Theatre Company a Theatre-In-Education company delivering issue-based productions and workshops as well as youth theatre activities. Since a major rebrand and new leadership team in 2014, we are increasingly known for innovative and ambitious theatre that puts young people at the centre of activities.
Prime’s vision is to make compelling work that includes, reflects and empowers the widest possible range of children and young people in society, no matter what their artistic experience or interest. The company is led by Artistic Director Mark Powell and Company Manager Sarah Wrixon.
Alongside the main repertoire of professional and youth theatre productions, there is a wide ranging education and community programme. Prime is a lead organisation in both Swindon and Wiltshire’s Cultural Education Partnerships.
Prime Theatre is supported by Arts Council England as a National Portfolio Organisation and also receives core funding from Swindon Borough Council. Prime raises further income through ticket sales, youth theatre memberships, education activities and ongoing project applications to trusts and foundations.
This is a key time to join Prime Theatre, to contribute to and deliver the ambition of a successful company currently in a period of reinvention and making itself relevant and resilient enough to last for another 30 years.
Prime Theatre is committed to Equal Opportunities, Diversity and Youth Culture and is an approved Ethical Manager with the Independent Theatre Council.
Job Description: Young Director
Purpose of role:
This is a trainee role working closely with the Associate Director but within a team, working with the Company Manager, Associate Directors and other members of staff to help deliver projects in schools and the community.
Reports to: Artistic Director (or Associate Director when appropriate)
Role: To work alongside the Company Staff to create and deliver an exciting portfolio of productions and projects in a range of local settings, with particular emphasis on the development and promotion of young people and their activities
Works with: Artistic Director, Company Manager, Associate Directors and other staff or freelancers
The following is a guide to the role it is not wholly comprehensive or restrictive.
Prime Youth Theatre
- To help, create, coordinate and deliver Youth Theatre both assisting and leading.
- To assist in sharings and Youth Theatre Productions
- To be a young voice for Prime and to develop and communicate the voice of our Youth Board (Prime Ministers) and assistants.
Administration and Finance
- To assist with general administrative duties, such as spreadsheets, word documents, phone calls, emails and letters.
Schools and Community
- To help create, and deliver workshops in school and community settings.
- To support in Arts Award activity including workshops, promotion and preparation.
Advocacy and Fundraising
- To represent Prime Theatre at national, regional and local events
- To identify and develop mutually beneficial links with other related organizations
- To identify and complete (with other staff) high quality funding applications to appropriate Trusts and Foundations
We ask everyone who works with us to champion this ambition and embed it in their day to day work being at the heart of our Equality Policy.
We aim to be an environmentally sustainable and responsible organisation, and ask that our all our teams work to support this.
- Enjoyment of Arts and Culture, especially Theatre
- Some experience in planning and delivering theatre or performance projects
- A positive and collaborative approach to both practical work and administration
- An enquiring mind and eye for detail in planning and delivery
- The ability to reflect constructively upon your own practice
- Creativity, flexibility, focus and excellent team player
- The ability to engage an inspire children and young people
- A working knowledge of contemporary theatre practice and plays
- The ability to initiate and build strong working relationships
- A commitment to equality of opportunity and access
- Willingness to trained be in British Sign Language (Level 1)
- A recent, enhanced DBS disclosure (or application for one on appointment)
Summary of conditions of employment
- This is a fixed term appointment for 1 year, with the possibility of extension
- Age: 24 and under
- Salary: £14-16K pro rata per annum (dependent on experience)
- Hours: Full time
- Additional hours may be required for press nights, Participation presentations and other evening events. These extra hours will be balanced with Time Off In Lieu. Prime Theatre staff are not paid overtime
- Annual leave: 22.5 days (including Bank Holidays)
- Pension: Prime Theatre contributes to employee pensions according to UK law, after a 3 month period
- Location: The position is based at the Wyvern Theatre, Swindon and other places of work as required
- Probation period: 1 month
- Notice period: 1 month