The UK’s first permanently established institution, dedicated to improvised theatre work, the Bristol Improv Theatre, is seeking experienced trustees to join its members board and help guide the next stage of the organisation’s development.
The Bristol Improv Theatre is Bristol’s newest independent theatre venue and the UK’s first permanently established theatre dedicated to improvised work. The BIT’s mission is “… to be an institution of spontaneous, collaborative, and creative theatre, a resource for ambitious artists and audiences, and a home for all those whom improvised work touches.”
The BIT pursues its mission through its seasonal programme of shows, classes and community events and its support of both professional and amateur actors, practitioners and other artists.
Are you someone who believes in the power of theatre and the arts to bring people together? Has participation performance art enriched your life? Would you like to be a trustee for a unique non-profit arts organisation?
We are looking for new Trustees to join the BIT Board. This is an opportunity to bring your expertise, experience and absolute commitment to helping the theatre thrive, develop and promote its work in a challenging environment.
We are also looking for support and expert advice as the theatre, which is currently a dedicated non-profit company limited by guarantee, seeks to transition to a more suitable organisational form.
Trustees are expected to commit eight to twelve days a year to the work of the organisation, for a minimum period of 12 months on a volunteer (unpaid) basis. Work will include reviewing papers, attending Board and sub-committee meetings and acting as an ambassador for the organisation. The Board of Trustees aims to have a good balance of skills, knowledge and expertise to help the theatre achieve its purpose.
Trustees will be expected to:
- Set the strategic direction and priorities of the organisation;
- Govern the organisation within the legal framework to enable it to achieve its non-profit objects;
- Actively champion the BIT, acting as ambassadors within their own community and through their own networks;
- Work with other Trustees to enable decision making and progress against BIT’s objectives and long-term strategy.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Previous board, trustee or other governance experience;
- Have fundraising experience, ideally in helping organisations or boards develop income generation strategies including donor giving and sponsorship, and awareness of associated regulations and codes;
- Have business strategy and marketing experience, ideally in the area of maximising and generating revenue from a variety of sources.
Applications are welcomed from all who believe they fit the essential requirements of the job and applications from groups under-represented in the organisation are encouraged.
How to apply
For a confidential discussion about the role please send a contact link to the email below. To apply, please send the following to the email below:
- your CV;
- a supporting statement, explaining your interest in the aims and activities of the Bristol Improv Theatre and how you believe your skills and experience match our requirements.
- Our applications remain open indefinitely, so you are welcome to apply at anytime to become a trustee.
The Bristol Improv Theatre