Assistant for Creative Minds Programme, Marlborough College Summer School 2020
We are the Marlborough College School of English and Culture. In our fifth year, we bring together international teenagers from all over the world to learn English, explore their creativity and challenge themselves in a safe and inspiring environment. We are committed to delivering state of the art activities both inside and outside the classroom and to the ongoing development of our students. We are looking for applicants for new Internship roles for Summer School 2020. This role would be suitable for those looking for experience in facilitating, working with teenagers or alternative education. Please see all information below, and get in touch if you have any questions.
• Individuals at the start of their career or a final year college, art/drama school or university attendee or recent leaver.
• Individuals looking for work experience in education, arts facilitation, working with young people or pastoral services.
• Open to all ex-scholarship recipients, ex-students who attended MCSEC over one year previously. Also open to new applicants who have not previously attended a course.
• Individuals who embody the spirit and approach of the Creative Minds programmes.
• Aimed at individuals who would not normally have access to roles such as this due to their background, financial situation, support systems or other. We actively encourage people from BAME, disabled, LGBTQ+, care leavers, those not in education or employment or other minority groups to apply.
Application and training process:
• Applicants to write a personal statement maximum 1 page of A4, explaining your reasons for wanting the role, and what experience and attributes you will bring to it.
• If any support is needed with writing applications or if you wish to send in a video application, please let us know.
• Applications for the role to be sent to by Feb 15tht 2020.
• A follow up skype or face to face interview with a member of the team before March 31st 2020.
• A meeting between the successful interns and a member of the MCSEC team will be arranged before May 31st to prepare you for the role.
• Attend set-up days 10th and 11th of July if possible, for both the course A and course B roles.
• Ongoing support from staff for professional development to include check-ins during and after the course.
Outline of Role:
• Assisting morning class time; you will support the Open Minds or Open English classes between 9am and 12.40pm.
• Assisting on set up for afternoon and evening sessions, assisting the running of in-house evening and free time activities between 4.30pm-10.30pm
• You will be expected to be a part of the night time check-ins, as well as on call during the night, like all staff.
• General logistical and administrative assisting of teachers and management staff.
• You will also be involved in evening and weekend excursions, providing assistance and supporting young people’s experience.
• Supporting behaviour and well-being of students. Communicating any issues with staff.
• Keeping professional boundaries and following child protection procedures.
• You will be expected to take on the role of a ‘peer educator’ supporting students to explore and challenge themselves by being forming bonds and being a ‘good example’ in the classroom and during activities. Working on bridging gaps between staff and students through open communication.
• Committing to the Creative Minds policies on tolerance, respect and behaviour.
• You will have the opportunity to develop your own practice; whether that be leading or co-leading activities, games, workshops or teaching and receiving feedback.
• You will either work: Week one and Week two- July 11th to 25th
• OR Week three and four- July 25th- August 8th
• Position requires full DBS check and right to work in UK.
• Payment £260 per week.
• All board and lodgings provided.
• Travel to Marlborough from inside the UK will be reimbursed.