On 15th & 16th March, Bristol Festivals invites you to attend one or two days of fundraising training with Owen McNeir, specifically designed for Bristol’s festival and events sector.
The aim of this training is to offer sector specific training that will help you make your organisation more resilient in the short and long term.
Please see below for details of what will be covered each day. The training has been designed based on feedback from the Bristol Festivals Forum to ensure there is something relevant to everyone, but it may be that only one of these days is relevant to your organisation.
Places must be booked in advance. Tickets available here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/bristol-festivals-fundraising-training-tickets-43163629578
The venue and training will be supported by funding from Arts Fundraising and Philanthropy.
About Owen McNeir: Owen’s background is extensive and diverse, with roles spanning charities, education, entertainment and commercial sectors. As a fundraiser his roles include Development Director at Cheltenham Festivals and Development & Marketing Director at Bath Festivals. He is a trainer and workshop facilitator for the British Council and a Member of the Institute of Fundraising, for whom he is an approved mentor.
Training Day Outlines
The format of training days will be a mixture of presentation and workshop, with the sharing of case studies and room for you to begin to develop/re-develop your own strategies.
Day 1 (15th March 2018):
Morning (session 1) OVERVIEW 9.30 – 11.10 (tea break 11.10 – 11.30):
- Understanding the different strands of fundraising open to arts and cultural organisations
- Issues that arise when you diversify your income strands and possible solutions
- Impacts on reporting and evaluation
Morning (session 2) TRUSTS & FOUNDATIONS 11.30 – 13.10 (lunch from 13.00 – 13.50):
- Applying to and approaching Trusts & Foundations – private charitable institutions, and how these can be the vehicle for philanthropic donations
Afternoon (session 3) CORPORATES 14.00 – 16.30 (tea break 15.00 – 15.20):
- Working with the business community – Sponsorship (cash and in-kind), Corporate Social Responsibility /Philanthropic
Day 2 (16th March 2018):
Morning (session 4) INDIVIDUAL GIVING 9.30 – 12.30 (tea break 11.00 – 11.20; lunch from 12.40 – 13.20):
- Individual Giving: How to attract and cultivate individual donors – from small scale giving to major philanthropic donations & legacies
- Memberships/Friends of/Loyalty Schemes – are these right for your event/festival?
- General relationship building – how to maintain and develop giving from audience, donors and funders in the long term
Afternoon (session 5) INDIVIDUAL GIVING PART TWO 13.20 – 16.00 (with tea break 15.00 – 15.20):
- How to use technology – from managing relationships and procurement of databases to new methods of giving
- Overview of crowdfunding
- Overview of Gift Aid mechanisms
- An update of the new fundraising regulations and the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)
There will be an oportunity for networking at the end of each training day.
The Station, Silver St, Bristol BS1 2AG