Many Minds is a Bristol based mental health and performance charity. We have been running for just over a year and have already won a partnership award at the ‘Voscurs’ (Bristol Impact Awards) and have recently been announces as charity finalists at Bristol Life Awards. We facilitate creative spaces and make performance that put people with experiences of mental illness in the driver’s seat as a way of breaking down stigma and trigger generosity and equality.
Our workshops and performances have been proven to engage with people’s creativity, improve confidence, self esteem and build social skills and networks. We also use creativity and performance to open up conversations about mental ill-health.
Click below to find out what our members say being involved:
We are at an exciting time of growth and we are looking for people to join our Board of Trustees to help us shape the new few years as a charity and build new relationships with to help us to continue the work we are doing. We are specifically looking for someone with previous experience on Boards and leadership experience and looking to fill the role of Chair .
About the role:
The Chair role is a voluntary position that helps oversee the running of a charity. The role requires between 5-10 hours each month. We have monthly meetings in Bristol (that might involve training or strategy sessions). Every third meeting is an official quarterly meeting or an Annual General Meeting (AGM). These meetings may require additional time for preparatory reading supporting documents for presentation. Meetings last between 1.5 – 2.5 hours.
We also have will have an annual Board away day.
There will be occasional further opportunities for attending Many Minds activities and for personal development and trustee training. Many Minds cover out of pocket expenses for trustees.
Trustees are elected to serve for a three year period. At every AGM those who have served three years shall retire from office or stand for re- election. Trustees can serve for a maximum of period of three terms (ie 9 years).
As a member led organisation, we positively encourage our members to stand for election.
Trustee role description
- Set and maintain vision, mission and values, develop strategy, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance
- Ensure that Many Minds complies at all times with its governing document, charity law, and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Ensure that Many Minds pursues its objects as defined in its governing document and maintains proper financial control to apply its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects
- Scrutinise board papers and prepare for each meeting
- Lead discussions on key issues related to the charity
- Provide guidance on new initiatives and other issues in which the charity has special expertise.
- Chair and facilitate board meetings
- Give direction to board policy-making
- Monitor that decisions taken at meetings are implemented
- Act as a spokesperson as appropriate
- Liaise with the Charity Directors to keep an overview of the organisation’s affairs and to provide support as appropriate;
- Lead the process of appraising the performance of the Directors or to delegate this task as appropriate to another Board member;
- Liaise with the Directors and trustees to develop the board of trustees
- Facilitate change and addressing conflict within the board and within the organisation
- To safeguard the reputation and values of Many Minds
Trustee person specification
All Trustees must demonstrate:
1. A commitment to the organisation, its cause and demonstrate an understanding of mental health and its impact.
2. A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort.
3. Strategic vision.
4. Good, independent judgment.
5. An ability to think creatively.
6. A willingness to speak their mind.
7. An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
8. An ability to work effectively as a member of a team. .
9. A commitment to working within Many Minds’ values and principles of working.
Selflessness, Integrity, Objectivity,
Accountability, Openness, Honesty,
The recruitment process will be a two way process to make sure that you are the right fit for Many Minds and that we are the right fit for you.
If you are interested in applying, please send us some background information about yourself and why you are interested in the role to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If we both agree to progress this further, you will be invited for an interview with a trustee and staff member. The next stage would be to observe a Board meeting. If the process has gone well, and you still wish to be on the Board, in line with our charitable constitution, the current Board members will make a decision.
Please get in touch if you have any access needs for the application process or wish to discuss anything about the role further. (email@example.com / 07843 210272)