The Wheel Actor Training Company: This year we are launching a One Year Part Time Actor Training Course based in Plymouth, offering students a chance to hold down work whilst they study. The course runs under ‘The Wheel Actor Training Company’ with students becoming company members, training with us for a year and ending the year performing in a fully directed production, performing across the South West region.
We believe in making training as accessible as possible, so the fees are as low as possible to make the training affordable, with no audition fees and anticipate the average contact hours being approx 9 hours commitment a week, over a weekend day and one weekday evening running from October – late June in a 3×10 week term structure.
The Year will cover the core acting principles and the craft of the actor, from a range of different practitioners and directors perspectives, both through theatre and screen practice. Students will cover, voice, movement, characterisation, text work, improvisation and impulse, presence, rehearsal process through to performance and audition technique, industry preparation.
We think this is will be great way for people to get a very real taste of what actor training is for one year, and could provide a great experience either as a stand alone course, a preparation for those heading into full time training ensuring they are fully aware of what they are signing up for at drama schools, a good one year post graduate experience for those finishing a degree in other another subject or for those coming into training from a career change. The flexibility in the course structure allows us to tailor the training to the group and individual so whatever background or experience the trainee actor will find progression and development
Key Features of the course:
- The opportunity to earn while you train – affordable, and accessible training is incredibly important to us, no audition fees and payments can be in instalments.
- An independent vocational experiential training – The training is experiential, 100% practical, industry focussed and not restricted by grading and exams. This allows for meaningful and responsive feedback and coaching tailored to the individual and company needs.
- Core actor skills training which is industry focussed – The entire focus of the time with us is to develop the fundamental core actor skills through a range of practitioners approaches so by the end actors are aware of a range of approaches rather than restricted to one methodology.
- 100% practical, with performance experience in Theatre and Screen – It is important to be able to apply and adapt your core skills to different mediums and different companies, so over the year you will begin to apply skills to theatre, screen and audio.
- Culmination in a professionally directed production open to the public – The experience of being cast, rehearsing and performing a professionally directed production to paying audiences often offers the greatest learning – we reflect on this learning and look at industry and casting – future plans before wrapping up the year.
Further details and how to apply are all online here: https://www.thewheel.org.uk/part-time-actor-training
We have just opened applications, (auditions will be by video call) to start this coming October.
Any questions, please get in touch [email protected]
Plymouth area (nomadic)