Live Dates: October 1st and 14th
The workshops will cover:
• Roles of crew members on set.
• Stages of production and what happens in each area.
• Different pieces of film kit.
• Coverage and what gets filmed. How do you film a given scene? Master shots, singles, close-ups etc.
• Shot sizes and their meaning.
• Directing: positioning cameras and working with directors.
• Composition of the frame.
• Discussing editing and the mechanics of film in relation to actors performance, and its part in the acting for camera process.
• Looking at scripts, lines, exposition, script layout. Character and story breakdown.
• Differences between acting for film and theatre.
• Repeating actions for different camera angles and why?
• Discussing the “given circumstances” of the scene and the responsibilities of the actor on set.
• Hitting marks on the set floor and why.
• Analysing performances on screen.
• Audition technique.
Paul Dudbridge is a British director, producer, cinematographer and educator, making feature films, television, commercials and music videos. With over 20 years experience in the business, Paul has numerous film and television credits to his name. His first broadcast credits include producing and directing ITV’s ‘The Christmas Storybook’, featuring legendary actor Joss Ackland, as well as directing music promos for MTV. As a producer and director, he helmed the science-fiction series ‘Horizon’, which went on to win a number of awards at international film festivals, as well as earning Paul a Best Drama Director nomination at the Royal Television Society (WoE) awards in 2016.
When not filming, Paul guest lectures at various universities and colleges around the country. Most recently, he ran the ‘Writing and Directing’ module for the Masters course at the University of Bristol, taught Cinematography at Falmouth Film School, and Advanced Cinematography workshops for BECTU, the UK’s media and entertainment trade union.
His brand new book, “Shooting Better Movies: The Student Filmmakers’ Guide” has just been released and is available worldwide.
Dates: October 1st and November 14th.
Times: 10.00 – 3.30
£40 each masterclass or £70 for both
Venue – The Actors’ Workshop Studio, Factory 8, Upton Road, Southville, Bristol BS3 1QZ
Sign up on our website: www theactorsworkshop.co.uk or email
FACTORY 8, Upton Road, Bedminster, Bristol BS3