Circomedia is thrilled to relaunch VOLT, Bristol’s iconic circus scratch night, this autumn! On 31 October 2019 VOLT returns to offer a much-needed platform for emerging South West circus artists to try out and develop their work with an audience. Read on for more info on what we’re looking for, and how to apply.
We’re looking for applications from artists who want to try their work out at a professional circus venue for a warm and supportive audience. The emphasis is on potential, not polish – your work can be at any stage, from a rough outline to a segment of a fuller piece.
This is a development opportunity – test ideas, gauge reactions and tailor feedback processes to your work so that you can take home constructive and useful audience insights. It will also give you the chance to experience a professional venue, connect with industry professionals, and build your networks in the Bristol arts community and beyond.
What we’re looking for:
- Short pieces (5 – 15 minutes) that you’d like to share with an audience in order to test ideas and gather constructive feedback.
- Works in progress rather than polished, finished pieces – this is a development opportunity, not a showcase.
- Any format – traditional circus acts, cabaret, live art, installations, durational pieces etc.
- Artists at any stage in their performing journey – perhaps you’re just starting out in your performance career, or perhaps you’re an established artist developing something new, or somewhere in between.
We can accept applications from anyone aged 16+.
- Artists based in South West England (Bristol, Somerset, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Dorset, Devon or Cornwall) or South Wales.
What you’ll get out of VOLT:
- The chance to perform in Circomedia St Pauls Church, Portland Square – Bristol’s leading contemporary circus venue and professional performance venue.
- The opportunity to share your work with Bristol’s circus and arts community, including other emerging artists and industry professionals, and to connect with individuals and organisations as a result.
- The freedom to shape your feedback process so that you get the most possible out of it – go beyond the traditional Q&A format to find what works for you.
- Support from the VOLT team in shaping this process, getting used to the space, and preparing for the night.
- Exposure and recognition within Circomedia’s wide-reaching marketing networks and Bristol’s circus community.
To apply, fill out and submit our online application form here no later than 12 August 2019. Selections will take place in August and we will get back to all applicants at the start of September.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0117 924 7615.
VOLT was founded by Ausform in partnership with Circomedia in 2013, and is now being relaunched by Circomedia in agreement with Ausform.
0117 924 7615