Job Title: Male & Female Dancers for Corps de Ballet
Technical Level: Elementary to Intermediate
When: Rehearsals begin in January 2018
Where: Bristol (to be confirmed)
Time: TCB + All Day in lead up to performances
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
For our first project we are presenting the romantic classical ballet ‘Giselle’. We are looking for the following…
- Twelve Female Dancers – to be the corps de ballet of peasants in Act One and Spirits in Act Two of Giselle.
- Male Dancers for this work are also welcome
- Must be confident with acting and mime on stage (or show a willingness to learn)
- Required to be confident en pointe and able to maintain this throughout all their work, and for standing on stage for long periods inactive. (Will not be permitted to remove pointe shoes and replace with soft shoes during a performance – unless this is required)
- Willingness to learn the art of Pas de Deux (if asked)
- Serious commitment
- Willing to engage with Performance Enhancement Coaching and guidance
- Strong love of classical ballet and desire to perform and ‘give’ something of their self to audiences
- Understands that working as a team player is an essential part of being in a corps de ballet
ABOUT US – WHO WE ARE
West Coast Ballet Theatre
“Classical Ballet – Danced with Love, Heartfelt Passion and a Soulful Spirit”
The dancers of West Coast Ballet Theatre are the material (people) upon which ‘Dance Artists’ creates its work. The dancers are all paying members who gain essential vocational experience dancing and learning to be an artist. WCBT is an organisation for honing the art of performance in an environment reflective of the vocation of a ballet-dancer.
“Creative Artists – Collaborating to bring to Life a Spark of Inspiration that longs to be Created”
A team of Creative Artists including student, emerging, experienced, and amateur enthusiasts in technical theatre, visual arts (photography and film), wardrobe and costuming, arts marketing and audience development; and digital/social media buffs – all collaborating to bring full-length and one-act traditional classical ballets as well as new and original ballet-theatre to the stage in live performances in Bristol and the local area, South Wales, and London.
Both ‘West Coast Ballet Theatre’ and ‘Dance Artists’ are cultural organisations not operated for profit and who employ no permanent or contracted paid staff. We do our work with financial loans, grants, funding, sponsorship and membership fees.
Please write to us via email, including the following…
- Basic details about you
- Where you are with your ballet training – standard, grade, training method, number of classes etc.
- Tell us why you would like to join the Corps de Ballet and perform in full length narrative ballets
- Tell us about the dancers, ballet companies, ballet productions that you particularly admire and which inspire you as a dancer
- Tell us about your own personal feelings and perspectives about classical ballet
- What do you feel your strengths are
- What do you feel your weaknesses are
- What would you like to develop the most
- What do you think might be the most challenging thing about joining this rank, and being a member of WCBT
- What do you think you would gain the most by taking on and experiencing life in a Corps de Ballet
- What do you feel about the philosophy of ‘West Coast Ballet Theatre’ and ‘Dance Artists’
- If you have the approval of your current ballet teacher (if under 18 years) to undertake this experience* (*Don’t worry if this is not possible for some reason, just let us know about it)
- Your contact details and any other information that is relevant
You DO NOT need to supply a CV or Portfolio. We are not interested in exam marks, just seeing you perform! Your application email should be sent to:
We’ll be holding Joining Days later in the year. Where we will meet and greet, chat and get to know each other. We’ll talk about our work, and you can decide if this is what you really want or not. We’ll also want to see your dancing. This will be in a lovely, warm, enjoyable and friendly ‘simple’ class – so that you can relax and let go, be yourself, and dance from your heart. We’ll also want to see how you perform, so we’ll be expecting a short solo routine to be ‘performed’ on the day. Something that is ‘you’ and shows you to your best (and not to impress!). You’ll also be coached in some of the actual work from our production of ‘Giselle’ and see how you respond to the work. All Solo Variations and Group Coaching will be performed en pointe. We aim for it to be a lovely and exciting time for all involved – not a stressful, anxious or competitive time. We just want to be find beautiful, loving dancers who dance with their heart! Details about Joining Days will follow and be sent to you in due course. In the meantime you can check out our websites:
PLEASE NOTE: We will NOT be holding open ‘cattle-call’ auditions, so it would be pointless attending for ‘experience only’ as you’ll be wasting yours and our time.
West Coast Ballet Theatre