Job Title: Male & Female Dancers for Principal Roles
Technical Level: Intermediate/Advanced or above
When: Rehearsals to begin January 2018
Where: Bristol (to be confirmed)
Time: TBC – all day in lead up to performances
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
For our first project we are presenting the romantic classical ballet ‘Giselle’. We are looking for the following…..
- A male dancer to portray the role of Loys/Albrecht
- A female dancer to portray the role of Giselle
- Must have strong acting skills (or confidence and willingness to learn)
- Female is required to be strong and confident en pointe and able to maintain this throughout the whole ballet
- Male should be strong enough to maintain energy levels and ability to engage in supported adage (Pas de Deux)
- Willingness to learn the art of Pas de Deux (if this is not already known to the applicants)
- Serious commitment
- Willing to engage with Performance Enhancement Coaching and guidance
- Strong love of classical ballet and desire to perform and to ‘give’ something of their self to audiences
ABOUT US – WHO WE ARE
West Coast Ballet Theatre
“Classical Ballet – Danced with Love, Heartfelt Passion and a Soulful Spirit”
The dancers of West Coast Ballet Theatre are the material (people) upon which ‘Dance Artists’ creates its work. The dancers are all paying members who gain essential vocational experience dancing and learning to be an artist. WCBT is an organisation for honing the art of performance in an environment reflective of the vocation of a ballet-dancer.
“Creative Artists – Collaborating to bring to Life a Spark of Inspiration that longs to be Created”
A team of Creative Artists including students, emerging, experienced, and amateur enthusiasts in technical theatre, visual arts (photography and film), wardrobe and costuming, arts marketing and audience development; and digital/social media buffs – all collaborating to bring full-length and one-act traditional classical ballets as well as new and original ballet-theatre to the stage in live performances in Bristol and the local region, South Wales, and London.
Both ‘West Coast Ballet Theatre’ and ‘Dance Artists’ are cultural organisations not operated for profit and who employ no permanent or contracted paid staff. We do our work with financial loans, grants, funding, sponsorshop and membership fees.
Please write to us via email, including the following…
- Basic details about you
- Where you are with your ballet training – standard, grade, training method, number of classes etc.
- Tell us why you would like to take on this role
- Tell us about the dancers, ballet companies and ballet productions that you particularly admire and which inspire you as a dancer
- Tell us about your own personal feelings and perspectives towards classical ballet
- What do you feel your strengths are
- What do you feel your weaknesses are
- What would you like to develop the most
- What do you think might be the most challenging thing about taking on this role, and being a member of WCBT
- What do you think you would gain the most by taking on and experiencing this role
- What experiences like this have you already had, or what you may have done before that may have prepared you for taking on this role
- What do you feel about the philosophy of ‘West Coast Ballet Theatre’ and ‘Dance Artists’
- Two letters of recommendation from any ballet or dance teachers of yours who feel that you are fully capable of taking on this role* (*Don’t worry if this is not possible at this time, just let us know)
- Your contact details and any other information you feel is relevant
You DO NOT need to provide a CV or Portfolio. We are not interested in exam marks, just seeing you dance and perform. Your application email should be sent to:
We will be holding Joining Days later in the year. Where we will meet and greet, chat and get to know each other. We’ll talk about our work, and you can decide if this is what you really want or not. We’ll also want to see your dancing! This will be in a lovely, warm, enjoyable and friendly ‘simple’ class – so that you can relax and really let go, be yourself, and dance from your heart. We’ll also want to see how you perform, so we’ll be expecting a short solo routine to be ‘performed’ on the day. Something that is ‘you’ and shows you to your best (and not to impress!). For Principals we’ll coach you in some of the actual work from our production of ‘Giselle’ and see how you respond to the work. All females will have to perform their solo variations en pointe. We aim for it to be a lovely and exciting time for all involved – and not a stressful, anxious and competitive time. We just want to find beautiful, loving dancers who dance with their heart! Details about Joining Days will follow and be sent to you in due course. In the meantime you can check out our websites:
PLEASE NOTE: We will NOT be holding open ‘cattle-call’ auditions, so it would be pointless attending for ‘experience only’ as you’ll be wasting yours and our time!
West Coast Ballet Theatre