Introduction to Arts Council England Funding
The Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) is the name of the government body responsible for the promotion of arts across the UK. Through Arts Council England (ACE), funding is distributed to various organisations from money collected from the Government and the National Lottery. DCMS and Arts Council England decide the objectives they wish to meet with regards to funding and then Arts Council England distributes resources accordingly.
There are several types of grant awarded by the Arts Council England, including:
You can use their Funding Finder to find out key information, criteria and closing dates for their funding programmes.
When making an application to the Arts Council, you should be thorough and careful, bearing the following points in mind:
Read the guidance notes very carefully before you begin writing your application.
- Make sure you have a very clear idea of your requirement and are able to effectively communicate the principles of your artistic activity in your application. Remember that ACE is funding your ‘art’.
- You are more likely to be awarded a grant if you can demonstrate you offer good value for money.
- Don’t ask for too much money in the first instance. The more proof ACE has of your artistic quality, the more likely they will be to consider ongoing financial awards in the future.
- The longer in advance of your project start date you can submit your application, the more likely you will be able to renegotiate on the same application if it is not immediately successful. If your project date is 7 weeks’ from your initial bid, ACE will not be able to consider a secondary application.
- Read the advice for how to use Grantium, the Arts Council’s online application portal. Remember once you have registered for Grantium it takes 5 days for the registration to be finalised and before you can start your application.
The Arts Council regularly reviews their funding programmes, and you can read the most up to date, detailed information about Arts Council England funding here.